1. The firemen _____ three women from the burning house.
A) salvaged B) rejected C) reformed D) rescued
2. John ____ his father very much in all his ways.
A) resembles B) repeats C) behaves D) inherits
3. I’ll call the restaurant to _________ a table for us.
A) leave B) empty C) reserve D) preserve
4. There are coal, oil and metal __________ buried deep in the ground.
A) sources B) substances C) resources D) properties
5. A manager’s job is a position of great _____ .
A) responsibility B) security C) necessity D) reality
6. He feels completely ____ to health after a period of intensive care.
A) renewed B) replaced C) removed D) restored
7. The experiment ____ the discovery of a cure for colds.
A) owed to B) led by C) resulted in D) resulted from
8. When they reach a certain age, army officers _________ from active service.
A) retreat B) retire C) withdraw D) descend
9. The secret agreement reached between the two sides was later _____ by a local newspaper.
A) remarked B) revealed C) recovered D) supposed
10. Apart from salary, teaching children has its own particular __________ .
A) profits B) prices C) awards D) rewards
11. John’s black eye _________ rumors that he had been in a fight.
A) gave rise to B) made up for C) got rid of D) took place of
12. The _________ of airplane engines is a nuisance for those living near the airport.
A) voice B) roar C) motion D) ring
13. These problems are deeply _____ and cannot be solved overnight.
A) rooted B) buried C) carried D) related
14. The climbers tried to find a new _________ to the top of the mountain.
A) approach B) route C) entrance D) summit
15. We are running _____ time. Is there a shortcut?
A) with B) against C) up to D) out of
16. A new law has passed that all new cars sold in this country should be equipped with _____belts.
A) saving B) safe C) safety D) saved
17. _________ getting money, he left his home and went to London.
A) For the sake of B) In order to C) Due to D) Owing to
18. The next morning we offered our boat for _________ for sixty dollars.
A) sail B) sale C) selling D) purchase
19. In the United States, many shops offer free _________ for most of the goods they sell.
A) examples B) samples C) models D) copies
20. The actress gave a (n) _________ performance but could have done better.
A) inferior B) professional C) satisfied D) satisfactory
1. D 2. A 3. C 4. C 5. A 6. D 7. C 8. B 9. B 10. D
11. A 12. B 13. A 14. B 15. D 16. C 17. A 18. B 19. B 20. D